Sermon Reflection - "Seeks Discipline"
Matthew 18:15-20 - "Seeks Discipline"
Healthy church members fight sin in their personal relationships and in the church. The gospel has both forgiven our sins and made us righteous before God, because of the perfect work of Jesus Christ. This reconciling work of Christ is not limited to merely our relationship with God the Father but also to those around us, especially with those also in the household of God.
The gospel rescues us from the eternal consequences of sin, and it transforms us, rescuing our relationships and conversations, yeilding a rescued local church.
Here are some questions to reflect on:
- What's your attitude toward sin?
- What would by your response if a brother or sister addressd sin in your life?
- Do you have rescuing relationships and conversations here at Renewal?
- Are you inviting others to speak into your life?
Truths from What is a Healthy Church Member? by Thabiti Anyabwhile
"Without the proper establishment of routines, boundaries, and patterns, thriving spiritually most likely will not occur or will be haphazard at best. Another word for the order needed to grow spiritually is discipline... Discipline is about education and learning, order and growth. It is discipline in the life of the congregation and the healthy church member that provides an atmosphere for growth and development. It leads to the rare polished jewel of Christlikeness."
Five ways to joyfully seekk discipline:
- Receive the Word of God with meekness (James 1:21)
- Learn to recognize chastisement as evidence of God's love (Heb 12:5-10)
- Humbly accept correction from others (Prov. 27:5-6)
- Take seriously our responsibility to discipline others (Matthew 18:15-20)
- Don't forget to rejoice (2 Cor. 2:6)
Which of the ways given to joyfully seek discipline seem difficult and why?
What barriers in our own lives need to be overcome to joyfully seek and give discipline as a church member?
Church Discipline by Jonathan Leeman
Resolving Everyday Conflict by Ken Sande
More in Renewal Blog
May 17, 2018Ways To Use Your Sunday Mornings Throughout The Summer
May 7, 2018Equipping Seminar: Engaging My Neighbor
March 26, 2018Equipping Seminar: Biblical Sexuality